Tel: +44 (0)20 7544 2600
David joined Keating Chambers as an international member in January 2017, having completed pupillage at the set in 2004 before relocating to South Africa. He has established a very busy construction and commercial law practice, practising in all areas of construction and peripheral issues such as liquidations, taxation, environmental issues, energy, shipping, planning and administrative law. His matters are, almost without exception, of substantial commercial value and complex in nature.
He is frequently briefed in mining matters and is currently on brief in a claim in the sum of US$10 million. His other recent work includes being briefed by the family of a Nobel Peace Prize winner, in a matter of substantial commercial value, to represent them in person and being briefed in a ship’s hull design, which has subsequently achieved international recognition.
• Acted for a German Engineering Firm in a Defects claim.
• Advised and represented clients in High Value Residential Construction disputes.
• He has been briefed as junior counsel to advise on aspects of the Cape Town stadium.
• He is currently on brief in two large time delay construction claims.
• Advised a Chinese mining Company in a large International Trade transaction.
• He was involved in the first gas pipeline to transport shale gas from fields in South Africa.
• He was briefed to advise the City of Cape Town on the salvage of a large oil tanker – the vessel was under foreign flag.
• Advised in several Shipbuilding matters.
• He has been briefed by a firm of solicitors in Singapore to advise on several aspects of a floating harbour in the South Sea, a matter of substantial commercial value.
• Represented a Swiss Trust in Cross Border litigation.
• Advised in a large merger of a Locomotive Manufacturer.
• He was briefed in the liquidation of one of the most valuable coastal properties in South Africa.
• He was involved in a claim for rectification of a national contract in the poultry industry, the value of this claim was in excess of R300 million.
• He was briefed to formulate a business model in the credit industry to comply with the Credit Act – the value of the brief was in excess of R100 million.
• He has also done several matters in the maritime, hunting (genetics) and fishing industries of substantial monetary value and complexity.