Tel: +44 (0)20 7544 2600
“He’s like the terminator of procurement law”, David Gollancz is recognised as a leading public procurement lawyer in the UK and internationally; in 2015 acting for clients in Germany, Sweden and the United States and advising the government of Singapore. He was appointed to the Attorney General’s Panel of Counsel in 2014. David specialises in all aspects of the law relating to public/private transactions, including state aid, TUPE, transfer of pensions and commercial elements. David also has a significant public law practice in the interface of commercial and public law, particularly in connection with the status and powers of local authorities and non- departmental public bodies. As the former head of the Public Procurement and Commercial team at the Treasury Solicitor’s Department, David has in-depth understanding of the working of the public sector. In addition to his dispute resolution practice David has a substantial advisory practice, supporting contracting authorities or tenderers during the procurement process.
David was admitted as a solicitor in 1990 and spent the early years of his career as a trade union and legal aid lawyer. He joined the Treasury Solicitors Department in 1999 as an employment litigator. In 2001, David established TSol’s Public Procurement and Commercial Contracts team, and the TUPE Task Force, both of which he led until leaving in 2005 to join City firm Field Fisher Waterhouse, where he was Head of Public Sector.
In 2010, David transferred to the Bar, joining Keating Chambers as a tenant on 1 August 2011. He has appeared for claimants and defendants in a number of high profile procurement challenges and procurement-related judicial review. Notable cases include R (Nash) v Barnet London Borough Council  EWCA Civ 1004, Corelogic Ltd v Bristol City Council  EWHC 2088 (TCC), Pearson Driving Assessments Ltd v The Minister for the Cabinet Office  EWHC 2082 (TCC); Liconic AG v UK Bio-centre Limited (unreported) 8 August 2014; Geodesign Barriers Ltd. v Environment Agency  EWHC 1121 (TCC).
- Advising Law Society and others in negotiations with Lord Chancellor on legal aid reform.
- Acted for defendant in judicial review of transfer of community health care to “social enterprise”.
- Representing Swedish company in dispute with Home Office.
- Representing German company in dispute with UK public body.
- Acting for US company in dispute with NHS body.
- Advising Singapore government on public procurement matters.
- Advising Home Office in connection with procurement of Emergency Services Network.
- Advising local authorities in connection with State Aid and local enterprise zones.