An opportunity has arisen for a Practice Manager to join our talented clerking team.
The Candidate should:
- Ideally have between 5 and 10 years of clerking experience or similar experience working in a high-pressure work environment.
- Be enthusiastic with a positive “can do” attitude.
- Be a team player but be able to work unsupervised and under pressure.
- Have excellent communication skills – both written and oral.
- Be polite, friendly and of smart appearance.
- Be able to demonstrate a positive attitude in challenging circumstances.
- Be trustworthy.
- Have gained at least two A Levels or equivalent qualifications and/or a Degree.
The Practice Manager will report to their Senior Practice Manager and Chambers’ CEO/Director of Clerking and share responsibility for a defined group of barristers.
General duties include:
- Promotion of members of Chambers and selling their services to clients and potential clients.
- Attending performance management review meetings with members of Chambers along with the Senior Practice Manager.
- Diary and practice management including the allocation and distribution of new work, booking hearings and conferences, fixing cases with courts, and advising professional clients of counsel’s availability.
- Negotiation and agreement of fees for work done.
- Recording fees and work done on the MLC Diary and fees system.
- Supervision of more junior staff, as required.
- Attendance at Chambers’ and clients’ functions (as required by the CEO/Director of Clerking).
- Assistance in other areas of Chambers’ practice (as directed by the CEO/Director of Clerking).
The Senior Practice Manager is ultimately responsible for the following duties, and the Practice Manager will work closely with them to cover these in addition to their own responsibilities:
- Development of individual practice development plans and the monitoring of their progress.
- Development of marketing plans for their team of barristers on an individual and group basis.
- Development and coordination of appropriate marketing activities.
Salary & Benefits
- Start date – immediate
- Salary – circa £35k-45k per annum depending on experience
- Hours: Chambers runs a shift system
- Holiday entitlement – 20 days plus bank holidays (Year 2 – 22 days; Year 3 – 25 days).
- Benefits on completion of probationary period include: Bonus Scheme, Season Ticket Loan, Permanent Health Insurance, Life Insurance and Private Medical Insurance
Closing date for applications is midday Tuesday, 15th December 2020. Please send your application form and a covering letter by email to Declan Redmond, CEO/Director of Clerking at firstname.lastname@example.org