Tel: +44 (0)20 7544 2600
Described in the directories as an “exceptionally bright” barrister with “excellent” client-management skills, James is a specialist in the areas of onshore and offshore construction and engineering, energy, technology, infrastructure and international arbitration.
James has extensive experience of appearing in the UK High Court (in particular the TCC) and before arbitral Tribunals. He has an excellent reputation for trial advocacy, and it has been noted that his “cross-examination skills are at the level you might expect of a vastly more senior counsel”. Also described as “something of an expert in Qatari, Omani and UAE-related matters”, James is a particularly popular choice for instructions in the Middle East and is a committee member of the Omani British Lawyers Association.
Examples of James’ recent work include acting for the employer in a very substantial dispute concerning the construction of an airport in the Middle East; acting for the developer in a £20 million TCC dispute arising out of the construction of a housing development in the UK; acting for the main contractor in a $150 million termination dispute arising out the construction of an energy research and development centre in Saudi Arabia; acting for the main contractor in ICC arbitration arising out of the construction of a power plant in the Caribbean.
- Junior counsel representing a major UK developer in £5 million multi-party TCC proceedings arising out of the construction of a housing development.
- Junior counsel representing a contractor in TCC proceedings concerning a high value infrastructure dispute on the NEC2 form.
- Sole counsel representing an engineering consultant in multi-party TCC proceedings relating to the construction of commercial premises.
- Sole counsel representing a developer in a dispute arising out of the defective construction of a large residential and retail development in Cornwall.
- Instructed by HM Treasury Solicitor as junior counsel in a high value domestic arbitration relating to 25 year PFI infrastructure contracts covering 3,000 sites in England, Wales and Scotland.
- Sole counsel acting for a major supermarket chain in a claim arising out of damage caused to premises by demolition and ground works carried out on a nearby site.
- Instructed by one of the main sub-contractors in the Wembley Stadium project in defence of a multi-million pound claim.
- Junior counsel acting for the main contractor in a $150 million termination dispute arising out the construction of the world’s largest energy research and development centre, in Saudi Arabia (ICC arbitration in London).
- Junior counsel acting for main contractor in numerous disputes arising out of the construction of a 720MW combined cycle power station in the Caribbean (ICC arbitrations in London).
- Junior counsel acting for main contractor in dispute with developer arising out of a $1 billion combined commercial and residential development project in Dubai, UAE (DIAC arbitration in Dubai, UAE law).
- Junior counsel representing a joint venture developer in a multi-million dollar dispute arising out of the construction of a large office complex in Russia (ICC arbitration in London, Russian and English law).
- Junior counsel representing a joint venture contractor in a circa $50m arbitration concerning delay and disruption to the construction of a new highway in Qatar (ICC arbitration in Qatar, Qatari law).
- Acted for contractor as claimant in a series of high value international arbitrations arising out of four major road construction and maintenance projects in Oman and Yemen (Omani law).
- Junior counsel representing the developer in a high value dispute arising out of the construction of a new office building in the Caribbean.
- Junior counsel acting for main contractor in $50 million dispute with sub-contractor arising out of the construction of new power generation plant in the Caribbean.
- Sole counsel acting for main contractor in dispute with supplier of pipework in the course of construction of a combined heat and power (CHP) biomass power plant in UK.
- Sole counsel acting for owner of damaged gas apparatus in £1 million claim for negligence and statutory liability.
- Junior counsel acting for main contractor in dispute with sub-contractor arising out of chemical cleaning and commissioning works to a gas-fired combined cycle power plant.
- Junior counsel acting for main contractor in dispute arising out of €0.5 billion project to construct breakwater for new port in Iraq.
- Sole counsel acting for supplier of equipment for the construction of a new port in Pointe Noire, Republic of Congo.
|AMD Environmental Ltd v Cumberland Construction Co Ltd||15 February 2016|
|Larkfleet Ltd v Allison Homes Ltd||19 January 2016|
|European Dynamics SA v HM Treasury (sued as Buying Solutions)||2009|
|Edenbooth Ltd v Cre8 Developments Ltd||2008|
|Avoncroft Construction Ltd v Sharba Homes (CN) Ltd||2008|