John Marrin QC
Call: 1974 Silk: 1990
Tel: +44 (0)20 7544 2600
John Marrin QC has practiced from Keating Chambers since 1976 and served as Head of Chambers between 2005 and 2010. As Counsel, he represents clients primarily in the High Court and the Court of Appeal in England and before various other national and international tribunals. He is a former Recorder of the Crown Court and a former Deputy High Court Judge, sitting both in the Queen’s Bench Division and in the Technology and Construction Court.
He is a Chartered Arbitrator, a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and a CEDR Accredited Mediator.
He is frequently appointed to act as arbitrator in both domestic and international disputes. He has acted as arbitrator in cases relating to projects located in more than 34 countries. He is regularly appointed to chair tribunals. He has long experience of acting as a sole arbitrator, as an adjudicator and as a mediator; and he has acted as the Chairman of a Dispute Adjudication
His experience encompasses all aspects of the construction, engineering and energy sectors, as well as software disputes; supply disputes in the oil and gas sector; and disputes arising in the real estate and transport sectors.
- Representing the contractor in the House of Lords on an adjudication appeal.
- Representing the employer in an appeal to the Supreme Court.
- Advising on termination rights under a ship building contract.
- Advising contractor on the quantum of damages in a procurement dispute.
Arbitrator appointed as a sole arbitrator:
- By the ICC in a dispute between joint venture parties relating to a project in Romania.
- By the Dubai International Arbitration Centre (“the DIAC”) in a dispute relating to the construction of car parking facilities.
- By the ICC in a dispute relating to multiple civil engineering works contracts in Ghana.
- By the Institution of Civil Engineers in relation to an earthworks contract in the UK.
- By the SIAC in a dispute relating to a fire at an amusement park.
Appointed as party-nominated arbitrator:
- In an ad hoc arbitration relating to the termination of a major software contract.
- By the LCIA in a dispute relating to turbine foundations at a wind farm in the North Sea.
- By the ICC in a tri-partite dispute relating to the termination of a gas-supply contract.
- By the ICC in a dispute relating to the construction of an airport terminal in the Middle East.
- By the ICC in a dispute relating to the construction of a container terminal in the Middle East.
- By the LCIA in relation to a dispute concerning oil liftings in the North Sea
Appointed to chair arbitration tribunals:
- In two disputes governed by the Indian Conciliation and Arbitration Act 1996 relating to the refurbishment of steam turbines at a power plant in Uttar Pradesh.
- By the ICC in a dispute relating to the refurbishment of steam turbines at a power plant in the Philippines.
- By the DIAC in a dispute relating to termination of a construction contract in Dubai.
- In a dispute under UNCITRAL rules relating to the upgrade of steam turbines at a power plant in Estonia.
- By the ICC in a dispute concerning the termination of a contract for cladding works in Saudi Arabia.
- By the HKIAC in a dispute relating to the supply of solar panels to India.
- Dispute relating to the quality of maintenance services a hospital under PFI contract.
- Five separate disputes relating to rail construction works.
- Dispute between an SPV and an NHS Trust relating to management services to be provided
under PFI contract.
- Dispute relating to a football stadium.
- Dispute relating to the construction of two drilling platforms.
- Dispute relating to the sale of a private jet.