Tel: +44 (0)20 7544 2600
Sarah Williams’ practice has developed to encompass a diverse range of cases, including engineering and technical disputes, surveyor’s professional negligence claims, standard form contract disputes (including NEC, JCT, ICE, Federation of Master Builders contracts and RIBA), onshore drilling and energy work, adjudication and adjudication enforcements, ICC international arbitrations, CIMAR arbitrations, right to light disputes, mediation, utilities disputes, shipbuilding cases, pure construction cases in the TCC, and pro bono work. Her clients have included national and international companies, local authorities, sole traders, partnerships and homeowners. She accepts instructions across the spectrum of chambers’ work and is particularly interested in those cases involving a technical aspect.
Sarah appears regularly in the County Courts and the High Court as well as in front of other dispute resolution tribunals, both in the UK and International.
- Acted for the tenant in relation to a substantial defects claim in the TCC in respect of a large wine distribution warehouse (claim circa £130m) (with Alexander Nissen QC and Calum Lamont).
- Junior instructed on behalf of the Council in TCC High Court litigation, which concerned
the design and construction of a guided busway in Cambridgeshire under the NEC2 form of
contract. Sarah’s involvement extended to drafting proceedings, appearing at interim hearings
and advisory work (with Stephen Furst QC and Piers Stansfield QC).
- Drafting and advisory work at all stages of adjudication enforcement, including successful
enforcement in De Haan v 89 Drayton Gardens Limited TCC (unreported) which considered jurisdictional challenges in respect of variations and multiple contracts.
- Instructed to act in various claims involving NHBC Buildmark insurance, including successfully representing the NHBC at trial against two guarantors under the Buildmark scheme.
- Acting on behalf of the main contractor of a waste management facility in the North in a defects claim against its specialist sub-contractor (with Adam Constable QC).
• Defending a national paint manufacturer at all stages to trial in relation to tortious and statutory
claims in the TCC.
- Instructed by a thoroughbred stud farm in a claim against its consultant engineers pertaining to the design of a failed culvert project. Work including drafting proceedings, representation in the TCC and advisory work.
- Acting for a fire and security specialist sub-contractor in relation to a debt and variations claim
for works to various police stations in the north of England.
- Instructed in the Wembley Stadium litigation as part of the counsel team for Brookfield (formerly Multiplex) in a professional negligence claim against the consultant engineers (with Finola
O’Farrell QC, Vincent Moran QC and Paul Buckingham).
- Instructed by the Ministry of Defence to draft proceedings, advise and participate in arbitral hearings as part of the counsel team in a multi-million pound arbitration relating to marine and terrestrial construction disputes (with Sarah Hannaford QC and Piers Stansfield QC).
- Repeat instructions from a large Italian oil and gas company in respect of its international drilling projects. In particular, Sarah’s work has included drafting ICC arbitration proceedings and advising in respect of an onshore drilling services dispute in Kazakhstan (with Veronique Buehrlen QC).
- Instructed by an Indian energy and infrastructure company to draft proceedings and advise in relation to an ICC arbitration dispute arising out of a major transport construction project in Qatar.
- Acting for an international JV in a claim in respect of a major municipal facility in Doha (as part of the counsel team led by Richard Harding QC).
- Instructed by the shipbuilder in a variations claim against the purchaser of a megayacht.
- Repeat instructions from British Telecommunications Plc at all stages to trial in respect of claims of varying scale and nature, including negligence claims for damages to telecommunications apparatus, wayleave disputes, debt claims, and defective product claims. Appeared for BT in respect of a dispute in negligence and trespass against a community insulation provider in the North (with Simon Hughes QC).
- Acting for the Governor and Company of the Bank of Ireland in a claim against its project monitoring surveyor in respect of residential development in the North (with Veronique Buehrlen QC).
- Various claims for and against surveyors of residential property.