Tel: +44 (0)20 7544 2600
Alice Sims specialises in construction and engineering disputes along with professional negligence, regulatory and insurance claims related to these sectors.
She has particular expertise in energy-related disputes (both onshore and offshore) and has acted for clients in a wide range of litigation concerning ships, renewables, nuclear, oil and gas projects. She also regularly acts in cases relating to the sale and supply of chemicals and the construction of chemical processing plants. She is familiar with all of the major standard forms and standard terms of appointment including NEC, JCT, RIBA, LOGIC, RICS, FIDIC, ICC, ICE and IChemE.
Alice has a wealth of experience in residential and commercial cladding cases, arising out of concerns following the Grenfell Tower Inquiry. She is currently instructed in numerous multi-million-pound cladding disputes for parties at all levels of the contractual chain including insurers. She is familiar with all of the technical issues concerning fire safety arising out of the Building Regulations, ADB and the Building Safety Act.
She appears in domestic and international arbitrations (conducted under various different rules including ICC, LCIA, SIAC, UNCITRAL), the High Court and Court of Appeal and also undertakes all aspects of alternative dispute resolution including representations to adjudicators and enforcement proceedings.
Alice is a CEDR trained and incredibly popular mediator. She has an outstanding success rate of settling cases which clients attribute to her calm but commercial focus.
Alice has held judicial appointments for many years and currently sits at as Recorder in the Crown Court and as a Deputy Tribunal Judge in the Upper Administrative Appeal Tribunal. She brings a wealth of judicial experience to her work as a barrister and mediator.
Alice’s is incredibly bright and her popularity with clients and solicitors, whether she is working as part of a team or as sole counsel, stems from her hard working and hands-on approach. She balances an air of authority with a down-to-earth approach. Alice gets stuck into the technical detail of a case and is a fearless cross-examiner. Clients praise her for being accessible, practical and commercial.
She is ranked in the Chambers & Partner UK Guide, the Chambers & Partners Global Guide and also Legal 500.
- Counsel for the Employer in a case high-profile, multi-million pound dispute about the cladding on a high-profile building in the South of England.
- Counsel for the design and build contractor defending claims and pursuing sub-contractors in relation to a multi-million pound dispute about cladding on a high-rise building in
- Counsel for the insurers in a multi-million pounds cladding dispute about a mixed-use building in the South-West of England.
- Counsel for a specialist tunnelling contractor in relation to various contractual disputes with a number of employers on the HS2 project.
- Counsel for the employer in a multi-million pound ICC international arbitration concerning a high- profile development in downtown Moscow.
- Acting for a contractor in a High Court dispute concerning delay and disruption to a major construction project connected with the London Olympics
- Junior counsel at first instance and in the Court of Appeal in a claim against the fabricator and erector of steel at Wembley Stadium.
- Acting for a sub-contractor in a TCC contractual dispute about an electrical processing plant
- Acting for a sub-contractor in an international arbitration concerning a commercial dispute about oil and gas separation plants in Libya.
- Junior counsel for Alstom Power in a multi-million pound dispute concerning a chemical processing plant.
- Junior counsel for a leading manufacturer of petro-chemicals in connection with a multi-million pound. dispute against a specialist designer of chemical processing plants.
- Advisory work for a main contractor in relation to a dispute arising under an NEC contract and concerning the construction of treatment works within a nuclear power plant.
- Advising the main contractor of a hydropower project in Kenya in relation to a multi-million dollar arbitration against the employer involving the FIDIC form of contract.
- Advisory work for a main supplier in connection with the sale and supply of ethylene.
- Advisory work for a land owner in a dispute involving the Water Industry Act.
- Junior counsel in a dispute concerning the functioning of bespoke servers in a leading mobile network provider’s main UK call centre.
- Counsel for a leading telecommunications supplier in a claim relating to the installation of a telecoms system.
- Counsel for a leading telecommunications supplier in claims relating to the laying of telephone cables and the installation of telegraph poles.
- Junior counsel for a main contractor in a multi-million pound TCC dispute about the construction of a soft yoke mooring platform in Russia.
- Acting for the main contractor in a multi-million pound ICC international arbitration concerning a large offshore wind farm.
- Acting for the Defendant in connection with an alleged commercial fraud concerning the purchase of an oil platform in Brazil.
- Acted for a firm of engineers in relation to a multi-million pound claim arising out of the design of a heating system in a landmark building in London.
- Instructed by AMEC in a multi-million pound professional negligence claim against the structural engineers responsible for the construction of one of the largest concrete car parks in the UK.
- Counsel for Brookfield Construction UK Ltd in a multi-million pound professional negligence and engineering dispute arising out of the Wembley Stadium project.
- Acted for a firm of architects in proceedings undertaken by the ARB and RIBA in connection with an allegation of mis-conduct.