Ian Pennicott QC
Tel: +44 (0)20 7544 2600
Ian Pennicott QC’s practice covers a broad spectrum of advisory and advocacy work related to construction, engineering, energy and technology disputes along with professional negligence claims involving architects, engineers and surveyors. He also advises on alternative dispute resolution. He has been active in adjudication in the UK (as advisor, advocate or adjudicator) and arbitrations (as advocate or arbitrator). He has particular experience in claims relating to off-shore oil and gas assets, railway infrastructure, power station construction, environmental and regulatory work and shipbuilding contracts.
As well as being a Contributor to Keating on Construction Contracts (5th to 8th Editions), he is the Consultant Editor of Volumes 19(1) to (3) (Fuel and Energy) and 39(1) (Cross-Country pipelines) of Halsbury’s Laws of England and have been engaged by LexisNexis Butterworths as the Consultant Editor for the Building and Building Contract titles of Halsbury’s to be published in late 2010/early 2011.
He has recently acted for clients in disputes concerning a water transmission scheme in Abu Dhabi, a large infrastructure project in Hong Kong, two large scale commercial and residential developments in Hong Kong and a complex power station project in Vietnam. He continues to be instructed on a number of other substantial matters in Hong Kong and a complex infra structure project in Thailand, as well as other mainstream construction and engineering work in Hong Kong.
Between 1984 and 1989 Ian practised as a barrister in Hong Kong (from what is now Des Voeux Chambers). From 1990 to date he has been in full time practice in London at Keating Chambers, the well-known specialist construction set. He was appointed Queen’s Counsel in 2003. In June 2010 he re-joined Des Voeux Chambers on a full-time basis, although he retains his status as an Associate Tenant at Keating Chambers.
- Acted for the developers of a large scale mixed use commercial and residential complex in multiple arbitration proceedings against the main contractor.
- Acted for a sub contractor on its claims against the main contractor relating to the construction of Wembley Stadium.
- Representing the Hong Kong Housing Authority in a substantial ‘short piling’ dispute in Hong Kong concerning residential tower blocks.
- Acted for a University in relation to contracts concerning extensive new student accommodation.
- Advising a local authority in relation to its term maintenance contracts.
- Acted for the residents of two residential blocks in London in a defects claim against the main contractor.
- Acted for a UK plc in disputes concerning a complex and specialist infrastructure project in Thailand.
- Acted for the Hong Kong SAR Government in a large scale infrastructure project in arbitration proceedings against a main contractor.
- Acted for a Japanese/Swiss/Vietnamese Joint Venture in disputes concerning two power
stations in Vietnam.
- Acting for the Hong Kong Housing Authority on a mixed user development.
- Advised a subsidiary of a well known Hong Kong company in relation to disputes concerning cable laying in and across Hong Kong harbour.
- Acting for a subsidiary of a well known Hong Kong company in relation to disputes concerning quarrying rights.
- Acted for a Hong Kong developer in a dispute with a piling contractor following termination of the contract.
- Acting for an Incorporated Owner in relation to defects in a large scale residential development in Hong Kong.
- Acting for international joint venture on large scale bridge development in Hong Kong.
- Representing a ferry operator in a dispute with a shipbuilder concerning defects in a passenger carrying vessel.
- Representing a contractor in a dispute with insurance brokers and engineers following the partial subsidence of an industrial building.
- Representing an architect in disputes with a contractor arising out of a design and build contract.
- Advising in relation to an open cast mining dispute subject to arbitration proceedings.
- Advising the employer on Bond issues relating to upgrade works at a nuclear power station in the United Kingdom.
- Acted for a major US Corporation defending claims in the English Courts (Technology and Construction Courts) concerning alleged breaches of contract relating to the construction of a natural gas liquification plant in Africa.
- Advised the employer on contractual issues arising from a pipeline expansion project in the Far East.
- Acted for a Japanese engineering company in UNCITRAL arbitration proceedings over its claims against the main contractor relating to the construction of a desalination plant and water transmission scheme in Abu Dhabi involving the FIDIC Contract and Sub-Contract.
- Advising a French oil company on disputes arising in Nigeria.
- Advising an educational establishment on a PFI project.
- Several appointments as adjudicator relating to the construction of the Channel Tunnel Rail Link (High Speed 1).
- Party appointed adjudicator on a contractual adjudication relating to the construction of Topsides of an oil rig.
- Disputes relating to construction of a water treatment plant (Arbitrator).
- Professional negligence dispute relating to a large scale residential development.