Tel: +44 (0)20 7544 2600
Abdul Jinadu was called to the Bar in 1995 and has been a practising barrister and arbitrator in Keating Chambers since 1996, specialising in construction, engineering and energy disputes, and domestic and international arbitration. He has acted for the full spectrum of clients including construction and engineering companies, government organisations, corporations, public utilities, local authorities, consultancies, architects and engineers. He is currently instructed on behalf of the Bereaved Survivors and Residents as a specialist construction counsel on the Grenfell Tower Inquiry.
He has extensive experience of a wide range of disputes and advisory work relating to infrastructure projects. Significant cases have involved oil and gas onshore and offshore facilities, solar power plants, aluminium smelting plants, pharmaceutical plants, hospitals, mining and marine construction.
He has an extensive international practice both as counsel and as arbitrator acting recently as counsel in respect of a number of disputes in several jurisdictions in the Middle East and as chair of the tribunal, sole arbitrator and party appointed arbitrator in respect of major projects internationally including in the Caribbean, Nigeria, Tanzania, Ghana and Turkmenistan. Recent appointments include as sole arbitrator in a Tanzanian arbitration, as president of the tribunal in a $70m ICC arbitration and party appointed arbitrator in a £400m Nigerian dispute. His arbitrator appointments have included ICC and DIFC-LCIA appointments as well as ad hoc arbitrations. Abdul Jinadu is bi-lingual in English and Yoruba and maintains significant contacts with his home country of Nigeria. He has well developed contacts in the legal profession and in the construction and oil and gas sectors in Nigeria. He is a member of the Court of the Lagos Chamber of Commerce International Arbitration Centre, a member of the Lagos Court of Arbitration, a member of the Advisory Board of Africa Construction Law, and has been appointed to the Directory of African International Arbitrators. He is also a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators in the UK and of the Botswana Institute of Arbitrators.
Abdul has “a strong adjudication element to his practice” and is a TECBAR accredited adjudicator. In addition to acting as an adjudicator and giving papers and seminars on the subject, he has acted for clients at all stages of the adjudication process (advising, drafting, and representation at enforcement proceedings) and at all levels up to the Court of Appeal.
He is a chapter author for Keating on Construction Contracts, Keating on Offshore Construction and Marine Engineering, Keating on NEC and Oil and Gas Contracts – Principles and Practice. He has lectured on a wide range of subjects to a wide range of professional bodies. He has written articles on a wide range of construction law related subjects.
- Instructed on behalf of the Bereaved Survivors and Residents as a specialist construction counsel on the Grenfell Tower Inquiry.
- Acting for a specialist contractor in a series of hearings regarding the enforcement of adjudication decisions arising from a landmark hotel project.
- Acting for a dredging contractor in a FIDIC Blue Book Dispute Adjudication Board against a Kenyan Government entity in respect of a claim arising from damage to an undersea cable during the course of the works.
- Acting for a Chinese heavy engineering company in respect of the contract for the development of a new container port in Sierra Leone.
- Acting on behalf of a specialist design and build contractor in an adjudication in respect of a dispute regarding the design of glazing for a major office block refurbishment.
- Acting on behalf of a local authority in a dispute concerning ground works.
- Acting in a series of adjudications on behalf of a major UK contractor regarding a high profile residential development in London.
- Acting in a multi-million pound adjudication on a high profile commercial development on behalf of a major UK contractor in London.
- Acting in a series of adjudications on behalf of a major UK contractor regarding a mixed residential and commercial project in the north of England.
- Acting on behalf of a major international construction company on a large adjudication concerning a commercial project in the east of England.
- Advising a major UK construction services company in respect of a claim arising from the Westfield development.
- Acting on behalf of a development company in High Court litigation regarding the redevelopment of educational facilities.
- Acting on behalf of a major contractor in relation to a claim arising from the Jubilee Line extension.
- Advising a major UK construction services company in respect of a claim arising from infrastructure refurbishment works.
- Advising the claimant in an arbitration, between a UK Contractor and the State, concerning a World Bank funded road project in West Africa.
- Acting for a Nigerian oil and gas services company concerning a dispute with a UK oil and gas services company regarding an agreement for the provision of services in Nigeria.
- Acting for a UK power company, in a £40m claim concerning power generation equipment.
- Represented a national oil company in US$40m international arbitration regarding the turnaround maintenance of a major regional oil refinery in the Caribbean.
- Acting on behalf of a Kuwaiti company in an engineering dispute in the oil sector.
- Acting on behalf of a major defence contractor in an adjudication relating to a major defence information technology project.
- Acting in a multi party ICC arbitration claim for approximately $1 billion arising out of a production sharing contract for a deep offshore field involving Nigerian and international parties.
- Acting on behalf of the government of Malawi in an ICC arbitration.
- Acting in a multi-million pound claim on behalf of an international port operator regarding marine construction works.
- Acting on behalf of a contractor in relation to a claim regarding marine construction works arising from the refurbishment of a key defence establishment.
- Appointed as sole arbitrator by the ICC in respect of a dispute arising from the design and construction of a renewable energy plant in East Africa.
- Appointed as sole arbitrator by the ICC in respect of a dispute arising from an oil services contract in West Africa.
- Acting as party appointed arbitrator in a claim arising out of the allocation of crude from a jointly utilised crude transportation pipeline.