Tel: +44 (0)20 7544 2600
Isobel was called to the Bar in 2021 and became a tenant at Keating Chambers in 2022 following the successful completion of her pupillage.
Isobel is developing a broad and busy practice across Chambers’ specialisms, including international and domestic cases, both as sole counsel and as junior counsel in larger teams. During pupillage, Isobel’s work encompassed a wide range of practice areas, including construction and engineering, professional negligence, procurement, utilities and insurance. She has worked on cases involving a variety of standard form contracts, including the JCT, NEC, FIDIC and RIBA forms of appointment, as well as bespoke construction contracts, and PFI/PPP agreements.
In addition to assisting on contentious and advisory matters in those fields, she has also appeared as sole counsel in the County Court and has assisted on matters in the TCC. Further, Isobel has gained experience of various forms of alternative dispute resolution, including adjudication (contractual and statutory), arbitration (UNCITRAL and LCIA rules) and disciplinary tribunals under the Architects Act 1997.
Before coming to the Bar, Isobel worked in the Utilities Industry, gaining insight into disputes arising under the Water Industry Act 1991 and associated legislation. Whilst studying for the Bar Course, Isobel volunteered with ELTAL and StreetLaw, giving presentations on a variety of legal topics both contractual and tortious. Isobel also represented her University, successfully, in multiple regional and international moots. Most notable, was her appearance in the Philip C. Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition, which is the oldest and largest international mooting competition in the world. This saw Isobel compete against several countries and win an award for the Best Written Respondent Memorial.
Isobel accepts instructions to advise, draft pleadings and represent clients in relation to a broad range of commercial matters, with an emphasis upon construction, engineering, professional negligence and energy disputes.
- Final hearing (Wandsworth County Court) – appeared on behalf of the Defendant in an action for damages for breach of contract.
- Final hearing (Sheffield County Court) – appeared on behalf of the Defendant in an action for damages for negligence.
- Final hearing (Bournemouth County Court) – appeared on behalf of the Defendant in an action for damages for negligence resulting from a car accident.
- Drafted a Particulars of Claim on behalf of an owner, developer and operator of hotels internationally for breach of contract against a building contractor for the supply and installation of defective screed.
- Drafted the Particulars of Claim and Reply on behalf of a UK owned international clothing chain for breach of contract against a construction company for the design and installation of a defective roof.
- Drafted a Particulars of Claim on behalf of an investments company for breach of contract against an insurer for payment up of a performance bond.
- Drafted a Particulars of Claim for an owner, operator and developer of data centres for breach of contract against a building contractor for delays to the project.
- Drafted a Particulars of Claim on behalf of a construction contractor for breach of contract/ negligence against a screed supplier for the supply and installation of defective screed.
- Drafted a Defence on behalf of a geotechnical consultant contractor, specialising in piling and grouting, against whom various defects were alleged relating to permeation grouting.
- Advised a construction contractor on the meaning and effect of final account provisions under a building contract.
- Advised a construction contractor on a contracting parties obligations to assign rights under a building contract.
- Advised a construction contractor on NEC3 contractual provisions relating to compensation events.
- Drafted a Particulars of Claim for an international furniture company against a firm of architects, for the defective design of an industrial flat roof.
- Drafted a Particulars of Claim against a sole trader for the defective installation of a canopy ceiling.
- Advised a construction contractor on the proper construction of provisions relating to a performance test under an EPC contract for a solar power farm.
- Drafted a Particulars of Claim on behalf of an NHS Trust concerning fire stopping defects in a hospital.
- Assisted in the multi-million-pound case of WM Morrisons Supermarkets Plc and Neerock Ltd v Lorien Engineering Solutions Ltd (dissolved), GP Strategies Ltd, John Sisk & Sons Ltd and J&E Hall Ltd. This is one of the Lawyer’s Top 2020 cases.
- Drafted a Skeleton Argument, Order and Claim Form in support of an application to the High Court to obtain an interim prohibitory injunction to prevent trespass and property damage.
- Assisted in an Adjudication Enforcement Hearing in the TCC, successfully resisting enforcement on the basis of doubts as to the Applicant’s solvency.
- Drafted a Skeleton Argument in an Adjudication Enforcement Hearing in the TCC, resisting enforcement (summary judgment).
- Drafted a Skeleton Argument in support of an application for an interim mandatory injunction in the High Court for delivery up of drawings, documents and software relating to an ongoing project, whilst resisting a cross application for a stay of proceedings under section 9 Arbitration Act 1996.
- Assisted in an Architect’s Disciplinary Tribunal Hearing, acting for the Architect.
- Drafted Pre-Action Protocol Letters of Claim on behalf of a Police and Crime Commissioner seeking damages for breach of contract for a defective police station.
- Assisted Charles Banner KC in a successful planning appeal for the promotion of a 100 dwelling residential development in Topsham, Devon.
- Drafted an Adjudication Referral and Notice of Adjudication in a claim against the design and build contractor for the defective design and installation of in-situ cast reinforced water-tight concrete walls, floors and roof.
- Advised a building contractor on the likely prospects of resisting adjudication enforcement proceedings following an unsuccessful adjudication.
- Assisted drafting the Skeleton Argument in opposition to an application to set aside an automatic suspension.
- Drafted Cost Submissions in support of proceedings brought to challenge a procurement conducted for the provision of housing maintenance services with an estimated value of £120 million.
- Advised a local authority on whether prospective actions would create a risk of breach of the Public Contract Regulations 2015.
- Advised a local authority on (a) the lawfulness of the scoring and evaluation of bids in a procurement exercise and (b) what the risks and benefits would be of abandoning the procurement.
- Advised a company on whether it constitutes a contracting authority for the purposes of the Public Contract Regulations 2015.
|Planning appeal decision against the decision of Exeter City Council||11 October 2022|