Piers Stansfield QC
Call: 1993 Silk: 2012
Tel: +44 (0)20 7544 2600
Piers has established a reputation as a “formidable advocate” and a “superb fighter” in the many trials that he has conducted. His advocacy is engaging and persuasive, and he is a tenacious cross-examiner. His written work is described as “first class”.
Piers has wide experience of construction, engineering, energy, professional negligence, shipbuilding and IT disputes. He has an “excellent grasp of complex technical issues” including engineering, delay analysis and forensic accountancy. He is known for his meticulous preparation and the clear and attractive presentation of his client’s case to the tribunal.
Since taking silk, Piers has continued to be instructed to appear in substantial and hard-fought TCC trials. These include a high-profile dispute concerning the Athletes’ Village for the London 2012 Olympics. He represented the Claimant in a termination case involving a petrochemical plant (SABIC UK Petrochemicals v Punj Lloyd), and the Claimant building owner in a multiparty dispute concerning defects in a large residential development (Greenwich Millennium Village v Essex Services Group and Others). In both these cases, his clients were successful. Piers has also appeared before both domestic and international arbitral tribunals in high-value shipbuilding and construction disputes.
Piers also has an extensive advisory practice and is known for his “keen legal acumen and commercial insight”.
- Represented the main contractor in a TCC trial regarding the construction of the Athlete’s Village for the London 2012 Olympics.
- Advised and represented local authorities and contractors in claims arising out of major infrastructure projects.
- Advised and represented a Korean contractor in an ICC arbitration concerned with a port facility in the Middle East.
- Advised and represented clients in various proceedings to enforce adjudicators’ decisions, including successfully defending such proceedings on the basis of breach of natural justice, and winding up proceedings in the Companies Court.
- Represented the successful Claimant in the trial of a £15 million claim regarding the termination of a contract to construct a petrochemical plant.
- Obtained an injunction on behalf of a UK Oil Company to compel a contractor to complete pipeline work in North Sea under contract subject to CRINE conditions.
- Acted for a UK bio diesel producer in a dispute with the designer and manufacturer of chemical plant.
- Advised a Korean contractor in relation to contracts for the construction of a power station in Qatar.
- Advised the UK government on a multi-billion PFI contract.
- Advised and represented NHS Trusts and major UK contractors in adjudication and Dispute Resolution Board proceedings arising out of PFI projects for the design and construction of hospitals.
- Advised the main contractor in connection with one of the UK’s largest PPP schemes, concerning waste water treatment facilities.
- Acted for the contractor in a claim against consulting mechanical and electrical engineers relating to the alleged negligent installation of a nitrate storage facility.
- Advised and represented a national house builder in a high value claim against specialist planning solicitors.
- Advised a national museum in connection with a negligence claim against Danish architects.
- Defended surveyors against claims for negligence arising from the valuation of a property that subsequently suffered from subsidence.
- Advised and represented a client in a multi-million pound ICC arbitration involving computerised design development and CNC programming.
- Advised and represented an insurer in TCC litigation arising out of the malfunction of a computerised building management system.
- Represented the owner in a dispute regarding a £500 million specialist vessel constructed in Korea.
- Represented the owner in an arbitration concerning design defects in a high-speed passenger ferry.