Tel: +44 (0)20 7544 2600
Robert Evans predominately acts as arbitrator, adjudicator and mediator in international and domestic disputes. He began his career as a civil engineer, working for international consultants and contractors in the UK and in Hong Kong (specialising in marine works and dredging), and was subsequently called to the Bar in 1989. Robert utilises his strong civil engineering background and is often instructed in disputes with highly technical issues as a result.
Robert is a CEDR accredited mediator, and a member of the Institution of Civil Engineers’ panels of arbitrators and adjudicators. He is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and is currently chairman of the ICE Dispute Resolution Panel. Robert has successfully mediated a number of remote mediations during the COVID-19 lockdown using many of the main video platforms, and has provided expert evidence on English law in Spanish Civil Court proceedings.
As counsel, Robert specialised in construction, engineering and energy disputes and professional negligence work in the UK and abroad. He brings this experience to his arbitration and mediation practice. In addition, he has a particular interest in yacht and boat design and construction and has has been involved in a number of ship-building disputes, including military vessels.
Robert is a supporter of and signatory to the World Mediators Alliance on Climate Change (WoMACC) Green Pledge. He has committed to minimising the environmental impact of each mediation in which he is involved in the ways outlined in the Pledge, including avoiding unnecessary travel and using electronic technology wherever possible, and encouraging those with whom he mediates similarly to minimise their carbon emissions. The full pledge can be found at https://womacc.org/
Robert Evans is a CEDR accredited mediator and is the author of the Chapter on mediation in Keating Construction Dispute Resolution Handbook, Third Edition 2017 (Thomas Telford Publishing). He regularly mediates disputes in the construction, engineering, and energy sectors.
Recent appointments as mediator include:
- Co-mediator on a dispute between an international construction JV and design JV over a major UK infrastructure project.
- Co-mediator for a multi-party dispute over the design, specification and construction of cladding to a new build hotel.
- Dispute between two maritime security services companies over payment for provision of services and supplies. Remote mediation, including overseas participant.
- Dispute over payment for, and performance defects in, robotic storage systems in 5 locations across the globe by remote mediation.
- Dispute between a Norwegian supplier of specialist access scaffolding systems and an Anglo-Spanish JV on major highway structures contract.
- Dispute in Malaysia under a trade contract for foundations and substructures for a substantial mixed-use development.
- Dispute between overseas owner of a prime residential property and its consulting engineer over fees, delay and defects in design.
- A multi-party dispute over defects in the design and construction of house foundations in a large housing development.
In addition, Robert has appeared as a party representative in numerous mediations.
- Party appointed arbitrator on a payment dispute over marine works in the UAE.
- NEC Option W1 adjudicator in a dispute between a South African contractor and French consulting engineer in relation to services at a power station.
- ICC appointed expert for the determination of a dispute between the O&M contractor and owner of a power station in the UAE.
- Party appointed arbitrator in a dispute over construction works to a highway in Moldova.
- Party appointed arbitrator in a dispute in relation to an award-winning residential building in Dubai.
- Adjudicator on a dispute over the design and construction of foundations for an offshore wind farm.
- Party appointed arbitrator on a trade contract dispute arising out of the fit-out of a hotel and leisure complex in Dubai.
- Appointed by the parties as adjudicator in a dispute over valuation, payment, delay and disruption arising out of the construction of a major waste-to-energy project.
- Party appointed arbitrator in a substantial arbitration in Dubai relating to major reclamation works.
- Party appointed arbitrator in a payment and delay dispute arising out of the construction of major marine works in South Africa.
- Sole arbitrator in a delay and payment dispute in relation to a co-generation power plant in Oman.
- Acted for a Government department on disputes relating to 25-year PFI contract for the provision of water and sewerage services for over 3,000 sites in England, Wales and Scotland.
- Advising an international architectural practice on a number of fee disputes.
- Acting for one of the members of the deign team for the Thomas Heatherwick designed “B of the Bang” sculpture.
- Acting for a national Port authority in ICC arbitration proceedings against a design and build contractor in relation to defects in a container terminal.
- Instructed by the Treasury Solicitor in relation to arbitration proceedings against multidisciplinary consultant arising out of the refurbishment of one the Parliamentary Estate buildings.
- Acting for a Government department at all stages of a number of disputes arising out of the construction of the British Library.
- Representing a local contractor in an arbitration over the construction of a highway in Dubai.
- Acting for a number of high-net-worth individuals in disputes over the construction and/or renovation of private dwellings.
- Advising owner of a private super yacht in dispute with shipyard over a major refit.
- Advising on defects in the design and construction of an artificial surf reef.
- Acting for the purchaser of a company in relation to defects in the design and regulatory approval of a ballast water management system.
- Advising on a payment dispute relating to the dredging and construction of a container terminal extension.
- Advising on disputes over delay and additional payment arising out of the construction of a T23 frigate, T45 destroyer and ALSL.
- Advising on contractual issues arising out of the design and construction of a submarine.
- Acting for the supplier of marine transmission and propulsion units in a dispute over defects.
- Representing the British Coal Corporation (the Department of Trade and Industry) in the contribution claims against Coal Mining Contractors in the British Coal Respiratory Diseases Litigation, with particular reference to the contracts and contractual claims.
- Acting in a dispute over the in-service failure of wind turbine components.
- Advising and drafting pleadings on a major ICC arbitration relating to a petro-chemical plant in Mexico.
- Acting for a mining contractor in a payment dispute relating to an open cast coal mine in the United Kingdom.