Tel: +44 (0)20 7544 2600
Robert Evans began his career as a civil engineer, working for international consultants and contractors in the UK and in Hong Kong, specialising in marine works and dredging. He was admitted as a corporate member of the Institution of Civil Engineers in 1985 and was made a Fellow in 2008.
Robert was called to the Bar in 1989 and as a member of Keating Chambers he specialises in construction, engineering and energy disputes and professional negligence work in the UK and abroad. He is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators.
Robert now predominately acts as arbitrator, adjudicator and mediator, in international and domestic disputes. He is a CEDR accredited mediator and is a member of the Institution of Civil Engineers’ panels of arbitrators and adjudicators. He is currently chairman of the ICE Dispute Resolution Panel
In addition, he has a particular interest in yacht and boat design and construction and has sailed at representative level for Great Britain and Hong Kong. Robert has been involved in a number of ship-building disputes, including military vessels.
- Party appointed arbitrator in a dispute over constructions works to a highway in Moldova.
- Party appointed arbitrator in a dispute in relation to an award-winning residential building in Dubai.
- Adjudicator on a dispute over the design and construction of foundations for an offshore wind farm.
- Party appointed arbitrator on a trade contract dispute arising out of the fit-out of a hotel and leisure complex in Dubai.
- Appointed by the parties as adjudicator in a dispute over valuation, payment, delay and disruption arising out of the construction of a major waste-to-energy project.
- Party appointed arbitrator in a substantial arbitration in Dubai relating to major reclamation works.
- Party appointed arbitrator in a payment and delay dispute arising out of the construction of major marine works in South Africa.
- Sole arbitrator in a delay and payment dispute in relation to a co-generation power plant in Oman.
Robert Evans is a CEDR accredited mediator and is the author of the Chapter on mediation in Keating Construction Dispute Resolution Handbook, Third Edition 2017 (Thomas Telford Publishing). He regularly mediates disputes in the construction, engineering and energy sectors.
Recent appointments as mediator include:
- Dispute between a Norwegian supplier of specialist access scaffolding systems and an Anglo-Spanish JV on major highway structures contract.
- Dispute in Malaysia under a trade contract for foundations and substructures for a substantial mixed-use development.
- Dispute between Swiss seismic geotechnical specialist and UK branch of US civil engineering and earth science consultant over a hybrid refraction-reflection seismic survey at the site of a proposed UK nuclear power plant.
- Dispute between overseas owner of a prime residential property and its consulting engineer over fees, delay and defects in design.
- A multi-party dispute over defects in the design and construction of house foundations in a large housing development.
- Serial mediations arising out of allegations of professional negligence against the Architect and Structural Engineer for a high value private residence.
In addition, Robert has appeared as a party representative in numerous mediations.
- Acted for a Government department on disputes relating to 25-year PFI contract for the provision of water and sewerage services for over 3,000 sites in England, Wales and Scotland.
- Advising an international architectural practice on a number of fee disputes.
- Acting for one of the members of the deign team for the Thomas Heatherwick designed “B of the Bang” sculpture.
- Acting for a national Port authority in ICC arbitration proceedings against a design and build contractor in relation to defects in a container terminal.
- Instructed by the Treasury Solicitor in relation to arbitration proceedings against multi- disciplinary consultant arising out of the refurbishment of one the Parliamentary Estate buildings.
- Acting for a Government department at all stages of a number of disputes arising out of the construction of the British Library.
- Representing a local contractor in an arbitration over the construction of a highway in Dubai.
- Acting for a number of high net worth individuals in disputes over the construction and/or renovation of private dwellings.
- Advising owner of a private super yacht in dispute with shipyard over a major refit.
- Advising on defects in the design and construction of an artificial surf reef.
- Advising on a payment dispute relating to the dredging and construction of a container terminal extension.
- Advising on disputes over delay and additional payment arising out of the construction of a T23 frigate, T45 destroyer and ALSL.
- Advising on contractual issues arising out of the design and construction of a submarine.
- Acting for the supplier of marine transmission and propulsion units in a dispute over defects.
- Representing the British Coal Corporation (the Department of Trade and Industry) in the contribution claims against Coal Mining Contractors in the British Coal Respiratory Diseases Litigation, with particular reference to the contracts and contractual claims.
- Acting in a dispute over the in-service failure of wind turbine components.
- Advising and drafting pleadings on a major ICC arbitration relating to a petro- chemical plant in Mexico.
- Acting for a mining contractor in a payment dispute relating to an open cast coal mine in the United Kingdom.