Marcus Taverner QC
Call: 1981 Silk: 2000
Tel: +44 (0)20 7544 2600
Recommended as “the leading construction silk at the bar today” (Who’s Who Legal 2016), Marcus Taverner QC has a “broad skill set” specialising in the fields of construction and engineering, professional negligence and energy and natural resources (where his work is described as “second to none”). The combination of “unparalleled advocacy skills” and “sound judgment” make him a popular choice for domestic and international clients. He has an extensive advisory practice and a formidable reputation as an advocate and in particular a cross-examiner (both in litigation and arbitration). Marcus is well known not only for his considerable strategic acumen and understanding of the commercial aspects of litigation but, in particular, for his mastering of the technical detail of the many complex and high value cases he undertakes. He is regularly nominated by the Legal 500 and other bodies and was named top construction silk in 2009 and 2015 by Chambers & Partners. Marcus is currently Head of Keating Chambers.
Over the last 33 years he has appeared regularly as advocate in the Technology and Construction Court, Commercial Court, the Court of Appeal, the Supreme Court and before Domestic and International Arbitration panels. He has advised on all types of engineering and construction projects in the UK and abroad in countries including Australia, Brazil, China, Estonia, Egypt, Italy, India, the Middle East, Hong Kong, Jordan, Nigeria, Peru, Russia, and the West Indies.
He has represented UK governmental bodies and several foreign governments. He has successfully represented many of the UK’s largest construction and engineering companies, developers and all types of construction professionals and their insurers.
His extensive experience inevitably includes the consideration of many of the standard forms of contract including: JCT, ICE, all FIDIC forms, GC Works, NEC and standard shipbuilding forms and the full gamut of disputes such as allocation of risk for design, entitlements to extensions of time and loss and expense, liability for defective works and all aspects of insurance and securities. Much of his recent work has involved issues arising out of actual or threatened termination.
In Energy related disputes, he has recently acted or is currently advising and acting in cases involving power stations, including nuclear, large offshore wind farm, LNG pipe lines and facilities, offshore investigation and oil and gas extraction; land and sub-sea cables; gas compression packages.
In infrastructure, he is acting for LUL and Crossrail amongst others in various disputes and has acted in cases involving the construction of airports and airfields and road building in various jurisdictions.
Domestically, he is acting in various disputes involving football and other sports stadia, ground improvement schemes, road schemes including foundation and piling design and all types of mechanical and electrical issues.
Very recent work includes a number of PFI disputes involving several hospitals and waste disposal facilities around the UK.
As an arbitrator and adjudicator, his recent notable appointments include multi million dollar disputes involving LNG pipelines, a chemical plant in the Middle East, and a joint venture dispute in the West Indies and rail and infrastructure disputes.
- Represented BAE Systems in multi million pound TCC litigation concerning the design and installation of computer systems in Saudi Arabia.
- Representing employer with regards to a dispute over a large football stadia project.
- Advising with regard to many different PFI projects in the UK relating to Hospitals.
- Representing employers and contractors with regard to various ground improvement schemes (piles and vibro).
- Representing state body with regard to road building project in Oman.
- Representing state related body with regard to design and construction of a port in Jordan.
- Represented employer with regard to joint venture dispute in Saudi Arabia.
- Advised with regard to disrupted exploratory hydrocarbon drilling operations in offshore Guinea.
- Advising about an industrial chemical production facility in Russia.
- Representing the designer in an Arbitration concerning the civils design of a major road construction project in Hong Kong.
- Represented owner in dispute with regards to a ground improvement scheme at an operational wine warehouse (listed by lawyer as top TCC case of 2014).
- Advising with regard to several unrelated professional negligence claims relating to the design and construction of car parks in the UK.
- Advising with regard to the the collapse of residential premises during underpinning works.
- Advised with regard to the cause and spread of fire within industrial and commercial premises.
- Advising with regard to the turbine design of a power plant.
- Representing developers concerning the environmental feasibility of a large housing project.
- Acted for Transport for London in a dispute arising out of the design and construction of East London Line.
- Acting with regard to various disputes arising out of Crossrail project.
- Acting for LUL with regard to various infrastructure contracts.
- Advised with regard to London underground PFI contracts.
- Advising with regard to an automatic train control signalling system for sub-surface railway lines.
- Advised a civil engineering company regarding claims for loss of earnings / business interruption regarding a major tunnel collapse.
- Advised over commercial advertising concession on the London Underground
- Acted/Acting for Thames Water on certain projects.
- Acted for Network Rail the derailment of a freight train.
- Advising with regard to the design and construction of nuclear power plant in Europe.
- Acting for a state body with regard to the laying of sub-sea electricity cables in the Irish Sea.
- Advising in respect of the design and construction of a power plant in the UK.
- Acted for the state in in an arbitration relating to the upgrade of turbines and plant in an eastern european power station.
- Advising in the UK with regard to several different PFI projects relating to Waste Disposal facilities
- Advising a multi-national energy corporation in a dispute arising out of the design, construction and operation of an LNG Facility.
- Acting as Arbitrator in ICC dispute concerning the construction of an LNG pipe line in Australia.
- Fronted a team of three QCs, four juniors and a substantial solicitor team to success in an LCIA arbitration concerning the manufacture, transportation and subsequent installation in one of the biggest off shore wind farms in the world.
- Litigated in the TCC over the termination of a waste to power facilities contract in the UK
- Appointed as Tribunal member in an ICC arbitration regarding disputes arising out of the construction of anhydrous ammonia production facility.
- Appointed as Tribunal member in an ICC Arbitration regarding the contract for the construction of an export pipeline and gas collection header at an LNG plant.
- Appointed a Tribunal Member in joint venture dispute arising out of construction of a production facility in Trinidad.
- Sole Arbitrator in a domestic dispute regarding a commercial development in the South of England.
- Named adjudicators in several infrastructure projects.