Marcus Taverner QC
Call: 1981 Silk: 2000
Tel: +44 (0)20 7544 2600
Regularly nominated by the Legal 500 and other bodies, Marcus Taverner QC was named top construction silk in 2009 and 2015 by Chambers & Partners. He was recommended as “the leading construction silk at the bar today” (Who’s Who Legal 2016). The Legal 500 UK 2018 reported him as “Incredibly hardworking, consistently energetic, and rightly regarded as a doyen of the construction sector”. He was recently identified in Chambers UK 2020 as “A commanding advocate who is, in our view, second to none in the construction field.”
He is well known for his understanding of the commercial aspects of litigation and his mastering of the technical detail of complex and high value cases. The combination of “unparalleled advocacy skills” and “sound judgment” make him a popular choice for international and domestic clients.
Marcus has an extensive advisory practice and a reputation as a skilful advocate. He has appeared in all tiers of the UK Courts in the UK over the last 40 years. He has advised and represented clients on projects around the world including Australia, Brazil, China, Estonia, Egypt, Italy, India, the Middle East, Hong Kong, Jordan, Nigeria, Peru, Russia and the West Indies. He has acted on behalf of UK governmental bodies, foreign governments and many of the UK’s largest construction and engineering companies, developers, construction professionals and their insurers. He is currently acting for a Core Participant at the Grenfell Tower Inquiry.
In recent years Marcus has sat as an Arbitrator on many ICC, LCIA, SIAC and other panels as well as Dispute Adjudication Boards in the UK and around the world. Recent appointments, several as Chairman, include multi-million dollar disputes relating to energy projects in Australia; a mining development in Australia; power stations in South Africa; a chemical plant in the Middle East; an oil exploration concession in Nigeria and a joint venture dispute in the West Indies.
Amongst other work, he is also presently engaged in work relating to the Grenfell Inquiry.
- Chairman of a DAB relating to dispute arising of two power plants constructed in South Africa.
- Appointed as Tribunal member in an ICC arbitration regarding disputes arising out of the construction of anhydrous ammonia production facility.
- DAB member of a dispute arising out of a power plant in Costa Rica.
- Chair of a SIAC Arbitration concerning a multi-million dollar dispute relating to a mining project in Australia.
- Chair of an ICC Arbitration concerning a multi-million US dollar dispute regarding a mining concession in Australia.
- Appointed as Tribunal member in an ICC Arbitration concerning a US billion-dollar dispute relating to the construction of an export pipeline and gas collection header at an LNG plant in Australia.
- Appointed as Arbitrator in an oil concession dispute in Nigeria.
- Appointed as Tribunal Member in joint venture dispute arising out of construction of a production facility in Trinidad.
- Sole Arbitrator in a domestic dispute regarding a commercial development in the South of England.
- Named adjudicator in several infrastructure projects.
- Representing a Core Participant at the Grenfell Tower Inquiry.
- Representing various parties in multi-million pound negligence claims arising out of commercial developments.
- Appeared in the commercial court with regard to a challenge to an arbitration award.
- Appeared in the TCC in a lengthy multi-million pound dispute concerning the construction of a waste treatment plant.
- Advising with regard to the cause and spread of fire within industrial and commercial premises.
- Advising with regard to negligent advice concerning the purchase and development of commercial premises.
- Advising with regard to the negligence of construction professionals relating to the construction of new residential tower blocks.
- Acted for Transport for London in a dispute arising out of the design and construction of East London Line.
- Acted with regard to various disputes arising out of Crossrail project.
- Acting for LUL with regard to various PFI contracts.
- Acted last year in the High Court for Essex County Council in a recent hundred million pound dispute concerning a waste facility.
- Advised with regard to a billion Euro dispute relating to the design and construction of nuclear power plant in Europe.
- Fronted a team of three QCs, four juniors and a substantial solicitor team to success in an LCIA arbitration concerning the manufacture, transportation and subsequent installation in one of the biggest offshore wind farms in the world.