Marcus Taverner KC
Call: 1981 Silk: 2000
Tel: +44 (0)20 7544 2600
Marcus Taverner KC became a full time arbitrator and adjudicator in October 2021. He was described by Legal 500 (2020) as ‘One of the leading new generation construction arbitrators – he has a good incisive brain; listens to arguments carefully but makes his mind up and is decisive.’
He has received instructions as arbitrator/adjudicator for the past 20 years. He has sat on panels governed by ICC, LCIA, SIAC, DIAC, HKIAC and other institutional rules as well as on Dispute Adjudication Boards in the UK and worldwide. His experience as counsel and as an arbitrator and adjudicator includes high value engineering, construction and energy related disputes in the UK and in jurisdictions around the world, including Australia; South Africa and other African nations (including Nigeria and Uganda); Europe, the Middle East (Oman, Qatar, Dubai, Jordan, Oman, Qatar and Saudi Arabia), the USA, India, Vietnam and Hong Kong.
Before focussing on sitting as arbitrator and adjudicator, Marcus Taverner KC was awarded “Construction Silk of the Year” in 2009 and 2015 by Chambers & Partners. He was recommended as “the leading construction silk at the bar today” (Who’s Who Legal 2016). The Legal 500 UK 2018 reported him as “Incredibly hardworking, consistently energetic, and rightly regarded as a doyen of the construction sector”. He was recently identified in Chambers UK 2020 as “A commanding advocate who is, in our view, second to none in the construction field.”
He is particularly well known for his understanding of the commercial aspects of litigation and his mastering of the technical detail of complex and high value cases. The combination of “unparalleled advocacy skills” and “sound judgment” made him a popular choice for international and domestic clients. Clients have included UK governmental bodies, foreign governments and many of the world’s largest construction, engineering and oil companies, developers, related professionals and their insurers. His experience includes disputes subject to Civil, Common, Islamic and International jurisdictions and law.
- Member of a Tribunal in an Ad hoc Arbitration concerning a sub-sea pipe line in the Middle East.
- Tribunal Member in an EDF Rules Arbitration concerning a large road project in central Africa.
- Chairman of a DIAC Rules Arbitration relating to a process plant in Saudi Arabia.
- Member of LCIA Tribunal Arbitrating a dispute relating to the sale of power equipment for installation in a Combined Cycle Power Station in the West Indies.
- Tribunal member in an ICC Arbitration concerning an oil refinery in Oman.
- Member of LCIA Tribunal relating to a dispute concerning an expressway in Oman.
- President of an ICC Arbitration concerning a large dispute relating to a Biofuel development in the USA.
- Adjudicator in a high profile infrastructure dispute in the UK.
- Tribunal member in an Arbitration concerning a dispute relating to drilling rigs in Bangladesh.
- Sole Arbitrator with regard to a multi-party infrastructure dispute in Hong Kong.
- Member of a DAB panel relating to a power station in Africa.
- President of an ICC Tribunal in a dispute concerning a transport project in Saudi Arabia.
- Adjudicator in a large PFI hospital dispute in the UK.
- Chairman of a DAB relating to dispute relating to two power plants constructed in South Africa.
- Tribunal member in an ICC dispute relating to a biomass project in the UK.
- Tribunal member in an ICC arbitration regarding disputes arising out of the construction of an anhydrous ammonia production facility.
- DAB member of a dispute arising out of a power plant in Costa Rica.
- Arbitrator in ICC Arbitration relating to an oil refinery in Egypt.
- Chair of a SIAC Arbitration relating to a mining project in Australia.
- Chair of an ICC Arbitration concerning a mining concession in Australia.
- Tribunal member in an ICC Arbitration concerning a dispute relating to the construction of an export pipeline and gas collection header at an LNG plant in Australia.
- Arbitrator in an oil concession dispute in Nigeria.
- Tribunal member in joint venture dispute arising out of the construction of a production facility in Trinidad.
- Sole Arbitrator in a domestic dispute regarding a commercial development in the South of England.