Since I left EU: The Future of Environmental Assessment with Town Legal
Released: 5 January 2021
Town Legal hosted this joint webinar with Keating Chambers live on Tuesday 5 January 2021.
The Brexit transition period ended on 31 December 2020. The different forms of Environment Assessment (EA) which play a significant role in our planning system (Strategic Environmental Assessment, Environmental Impact Assessment and Habitats Regulations Assessment) are all derived from EU law. With the promise of EA reforms in the planning white paper & with the UK having greater control over how we legislate, we can expect changes to come forward in 2021. What better time to ask ourselves how well EA has worked and how it should be improved?
The webinar covered the following questions:
• What role does EA play in the planning system?
• What problems have we seen with the current approach to EA?
• Where has EA worked well and what can we learn?
• How does EA change immediately after 31 December 2020?
• Working with what we have: how could EA be changed to work better?
• Does EA need more radical reform?
Charles Banner QC (Keating Chambers)
Safiyah Islam (Town Legal)
Steve Quartermain (Town Legal)
Duncan Field (Town Legal)
Simon Ricketts (Town Legal) – Chair